Murad Partners with #ShadeAmerica for Sun Safety Kit
press sample | affiliate links
Murad has partnered with Shade America to offer a 3-piece sun safety kit that includes full bottles of Advanced Active Radiance Serum (which I love to help correct sun damage), Essential-C Day Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 30 | PA+++, and a limited edition cosmetics bag. $125,000.00 from the sales of this kit will be donated to American Academy of Dermatology to build shade structures across America. Not sure if you guys have ever seen these around town but they’re these cool canopies that protect from UV rays, rain & hails, creates air flow and shade placed in parking lots, playgrounds, decks, pools, and other high sun exposure areas. This is a perfect partnership!
I didn’t learn about the dangers of sun damage until it was too late. As a teen I spent the entire summer at the pool; from the time I got up until it the weather got too cold to sit out. I still remember falling asleep in a beach chair face down and getting a sunburn on my back. Talk about pain! I didn’t know black people could sunburned. I’m in my early 30’s and I’m still repairing sun damage. But it’s never too late to get into the habit of applying sunscreen. When I’m having a discussion about skin care I always make sure that sun protection is included in as many forms as possible, especially when it comes to my makeup application. Even in 2015 when I talk about it with other Black women and men I still get a perplexed look. But we need it! Just buy a couple of bottles to keep at your reach at all times. Cancer see no race or color.
American Academy of Dermatology’s top 10 skin cancer and sun facts:
- Most skin cancers are related to sun exposure, which is preventable, yet skin cancer rates continue to climb.
- “Broad-spectrum protection” protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Most dermatologists agree SPF 30 is sufficient, based on the total amount of solar energy released on a typical summer day.
- The sun’s rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. If your shadow is shorter than you, seek shade.
- If you notice any spots changing, growing or bleeding on your skin, see a dermatologist.
- Even on a cloudy day, 80% of the sun’s harmful UV rays can reach your skin.
- If your skin blisters after a sunburn, you have a second-degree burn.
- UV rays can cause premature aging of skin and skin cancer.
- Melanin is the pigment that “tans” your skin, but it is produced by the skin in response to sun damage.
- By the time your skin gets red (burned) or darker, it has already been damaged.
- Use of indoor tanning (tanning beds) before the age of 35 has been associated with a significant increase in the risk of melanoma.
Ok so you don’t want the kit but still need sun screen…. check out the next page for more Murad options.
Essential-C Day Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF30 | PA+++ is my go-to when I’m reaching for a basic everyday sunscreen. The white cast is minimal and a little tinted setting powder like my Ben Nye Camel Mojave Powder takes care of any worries I might have. Plus I use many of the other products in the Environmental Shield line up so it just works for me.
Invisiblur Perfecting Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 30 | PA+++ was recently reviewed and it’s the best all-in-one I’ve used! It’s a makeup primer, anti-aging treatment, and sun protection all in one bottle.
Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15 | PA ++ is one that I keep around to use when I’m around the house or on the weekends when I might take a few blog photos. It helps control oil but on days like that I really don’t care. I just want to be protected just in case.
Balancing Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 15 | PA++ This is a new one I’ve been using and honestly it isn’t my favorite. I’m oily and after a few hours it seems like it’s just sitting on my face. Most of the time I keep it in my purse to use with my hand cream . I word indoors but still take the train to work and always end up near a window seat where the sun seems to be the brightest.